Although people in Whitehill & Bordon are living longer, healthy life expectancy is decreasing. The key driver of this is long-term conditions, which can be reduced by enabling healthy lifestyles. Our proposal will ensure that people living in Whitehill & Bordon will live more healthily and independently for longer, therefore reducing the need for health and social care provision, creating significant savings.
Whitehill & Bordon lies within the South Hampshire Vanguard Multi-speciality Community Provider (MCP). The MCP is creating a new model of care that develops wider primary care at scale across natural communities of care in South Hampshire. This model will focus upon four areas:
- Improving access to Primary Care
- Extending the primary care team to proactively manage people at risk
- De-layering specialist support
- Engagement, prevention and self- management
The new development gives us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to implement a new model of care delivery alongside the opportunity to change the behaviours which lead to ill health. We will deliver a Health Hub that builds upon our “MCP vanguard” initiative, and care village with supported living houses. This will offer integrated support for a variety of health and social care needs that will allow elderly and frail people to lead full and active lives. We will support people with long term conditions to manage their own care through both digital innovation and developing our network of community and voluntary sector support.
- A new leisure centre with six lane swimming pool will be built in the town centre next to a proposed new Health Hub (both opening 2019)
- New sports pitches, including a Multi-Use Games Area and six court sports’ hall will be built at the new secondary school (Mill Chase Academy), which will open in 2019
- A new pavilion and cricket pitch will be built on the Bordon and Oakhanger Sports Club site