Whitehill & Bordon is being transformed into a prosperous and sustainable green town. After over 100 years as a ‘garrison town’, the Army left the town in December 2015 and moved to a new base at Lyneham in Wiltshire. This has freed up over 100 hectares, presenting a unique ‘once in a generation’ opportunity to transform the town from‘garrison town to green, healthy and connected town’ by 2036.
This is a complex, £1bn, multi-partner, 15-year collaborative and transformational place-making programme which seeks to:
- Transform the town from ‘garrison town to green, healthy and connected town’ by 2036.
- Deliver some 3,350 new homes; 5,500 jobs and create nearly 100,000sqm of new commercial, retail, and leisure floor space.
- Deliver a new town centre with a high-quality retail offer coupled with new schools, leisure centre, health facilities & public service hub.
- Deliver a new relief road, undertake improvements to the existing A325 and develop sustainable transport projects that will encourage less car use and more walking and cycling in the town.
- Protect and enhance around 150 hectares of green space through the provision of two SANGs (suitable alternative natural green-spaces) at Bordon Inclosure and Hogmoor Inclosure.
- Deliver new community facilities and critically support the community through the transformation process including the population increase from 14,000 to 22,000 by 2030.
- Deliver an Enterprise Zone site to attract investment from digital technology businesses, in partnership with the Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership and sires at Basing View and Longcross.
- Lead the delivery of the Healthy New Towns programme on behalf of a multi-agency project.
- Seek ways to accelerate housing delivery through the Housing Zone objectives and support.
- Ensure all the above is under-pinned with a clear focus on quality design and environmental performance.
In 2018, we delivered the following:
- Quebec Park: House Building completed. Café 1759 opened and continues to serve as Community Hub.
- Louisberg Barracks: House building & sales continue. The new BASE Bordon Innovation Centre & Future Skills Centre continue to grow and celebrate first year anniversary of opening.
- Prince Phillip Barracks: Phase 1a housing (172 units) under construction.
- Relief Road: Phase 2 completed end of 2018.
- Whitehill & Bordon Community Trust: Fully Established & charity status granted.
- New Secondary School: Construction under way.
- BOSC Pavilion: Completed & launched with community event.
In 2019, delivery will continue at scale and pace:
- Relief Road: Completed & opened Jan 2019
- New Town Centre: Phase 1 reserved matters granted Jan 2019.
- Enterprise Zone: Tech Forest – Louisberg employment land, first serviced plots expected
- Quebec Park: Radian awarded won in the best Residential Property category at the RICS Awards, South East for not just being a housing development but a self – sustaining community.
- BOSC Pavilion – Sport pitches due for completion
- New Secondary School – Due to open 4th November
- Healthy New Town Programme – Won in the award for Partnership Working category at the Planning Awards 2019, for helping to transform Whitehill & Bordon into a town where it is easy for people to live healthy, active and independent lifestyles.
- Green Grid Green Loop – Work commenced. Upgrade of Budds Lane to include Widening of the northern footway to allow shared use by pedestrians and bicycles
- Leisure Centre – Under construction
If you are interested in finding out more about the project, please contact 01730 234329 or email firstname.lastname@example.org