Whitehill & Bordon is being transformed into a prosperous and sustainable green town. After over 100 years as a ‘garrison town’, the Army left the town in December 2015 and moved to a new base at Lyneham in Wiltshire. This has freed up over 100 hectares, presenting a unique ‘once in a generation’ opportunity to transform the town from‘garrison town to green, healthy and connected town’ by 2036.
This is a complex, £1bn, multi-partner, 15-year collaborative and transformational place-making programme which seeks to:
- Transform the town from ‘garrison town to green, healthy and connected town’ by 2036.
- Deliver some 3,350 new homes; 5,500 jobs and create nearly 100,000sqm of new commercial, retail, and leisure floor space.
- Deliver a new town centre with a high-quality retail offer coupled with new schools, leisure centre, health facilities & public service hub.
- Deliver a new relief road, undertake improvements to the existing A325 and develop sustainable transport projects that will encourage less car use and more walking and cycling in the town.
- Protect and enhance around 150 hectares of green space through the provision of two SANGs (suitable alternative natural green-spaces) at Bordon Inclosure and Hogmoor Inclosure.
- Deliver new community facilities and critically support the community through the transformation process including the population increase from 14,000 to 22,000 by 2030.
- Deliver an Enterprise Zone site to attract investment from digital technology businesses, in partnership with the Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership and sires at Basing View and Longcross.
- Lead the delivery of the Healthy New Towns programme on behalf of a multi-agency project.
- Seek ways to accelerate housing delivery through the Housing Zone objectives and support.
- Ensure all the above is under-pinned with a clear focus on quality design and environmental performance.
In 2018, we delivered the following:
- Quebec Park: House Building completed. Café 1759 opened and continues to serve as Community Hub.
- Louisberg Barracks: House building & sales continue. The new BASE Bordon Innovation Centre & Future Skills Centre continue to grow and celebrate first year anniversary of opening.
- Prince Phillip Barracks: Phase 1a housing (172 units) under construction.
- Relief Road: Phase 2 completed end of 2018.
- Whitehill & Bordon Community Trust: Fully Established & charity status granted.
- New Secondary School: Construction under way.
- BOSC Pavilion: Completed & launched with community event.
In 2019, delivery will continue at scale and pace:
- Relief Road: Completed & opened Jan 2019
- New Town Centre: Phase 1 reserved matters granted Jan 2019.
- Enterprise Zone: Tech Forest – Louisberg employment land, first serviced plots expected
- Quebec Park: Radian awarded won in the best Residential Property category at the RICS Awards, South East for not just being a housing development but a self – sustaining community.
- BOSC Pavilion – Sport pitches due for completion
- New Secondary School – Due to open 4th November
- Healthy New Town Programme – Won in the award for Partnership Working category at the Planning Awards 2019, for helping to transform Whitehill & Bordon into a town where it is easy for people to live healthy, active and independent lifestyles.
- Green Grid Green Loop – Work commenced. Upgrade of Budds Lane to include Widening of the northern footway to allow shared use by pedestrians and bicycles
- Leisure Centre – Under construction
Find out more about our healthy, green and connected town by reading our brochure here
Or watch our video by clicking here
If you are interested in finding out more about the project, please contact 01730 234329 or email email@example.com